This month, Farmyard Chef Patron Andrew has agreed to give you a few secret tips on how to make the perfect Beef Wellington.
Beef Wellington is a classic dish that is typically served as a special occasion meal. The dish is considered elegant and impressive due to its combination of top quality beef, flavourful mushroom duxelles, and flaky puff pastry.
It’s not an easy dish to perfect. However, over lockdown I made it my mission to do so and it’s fast becoming the signature dish of our Farmyard Frozen range.
6 Tips to the Perfect Beef Wellington
- Quality of ingredients: The quality of the ingredients is crucial for a perfect Beef Wellington. Using top quality dry-aged beef, fresh mushrooms, and good-quality puff pastry will ensure that the dish has the best possible flavour and texture. Where possible always buy local for the freshest ingredients.
- Proper seasoning: Proper seasoning of the beef and mushrooms is important to bring out the flavours of the dish. Salt and pepper are typically used, but you can also add other seasonings such as Thyme or Rosemary.
- Searing the beef: Searing the beef before wrapping it in pastry helps to seal in the juices and add a nice crust to the exterior.
- Wrapping the beef: The beef must be wrapped properly to ensure that the pastry is cooked evenly and the beef stays moist.
- Temperature and timing: Cooking the Beef Wellington at the right temperature and for the right amount of time will ensure that the pastry is golden brown and flaky and the beef is cooked perfectly. I find a temperature probe invaluable. Aim for an internal temperature of 45-48 degrees when you take it out of the oven to get the perfect medium rare beef.
- Resting: Letting the Beef Wellington rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving will allow the juices to redistribute and the flavours to meld together.
After two years of experimenting, I’m not sure you’ll beat our hand-crafted centrepiece. If you get bored trying, simply order from our frozen range and pass it off as your own.
We won’t tell anyone …. promise!
Last but not least ……
I’ll give the final word to Farmyard Customer Tom Ellis, who recently reviewed our frozen Beef Wellington and wrote;
“A real showstopper that was full of flavour. I enjoy cooking but making Beef Wellington is a serious labour of love so to have this level of quality and ease for a special dinner was perfect.”
For more reviews, visit our Trust Pilot page.